Going Beyond Undergrad
Going Beyond Undergrad is a one-semester educational program focused on providing support to first-generation undergraduate women who hope to pursue graduate-level education. During the spring 2017 semester, students will attend 6 educational workshops to help them target graduate programs for that fit their interests and needs and begin to prepare for the application process. Students will also receive individual mentoring from other first-generation women who have successfully navigated graduate programs. After completing these workshops, students will receive a waiver to take the GRE exam during the summer of 2017.
Requirements for Admission
In order to be considered for the Going Beyond Undergrad program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Female Identified
- Be a first generation college student
- Have a current cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Demonstrated financial need (information from your FAFSA report may be sufficient, or you are welcome to demonstrate need in other ways as we understand that sometimes FAFSA does not provide a complete view of your financial situation)
- Planned graduation date of May 2018
- Possess a strong desire to complete a graduate program
In order to apply for the GBU program please complete and submit the online application by the due date. Applications received by the Priority Deadline will receive the most thorough consideration.
We recommend you prepare the following before beginning the application:
- A copy of your unofficial UIUC transcript
- Documentation demonstrating financial need
- 2-3 paragraph answers to the following questions:
- What do you hope to study in graduate school and why does it interest you?
- How has your unique background affected and/or influenced your experience as a University student?
- What challenges do you foresee as graduate student? What would motivate you to push through those challenges?
- What in particular do you hope to learn by participating in this program? Please be specific this will help us focus on participants' needs as we plan programming.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Applications Become Available: September 12, 2016
- Priority Deadline for Applicants: October 15, 2016
- Final Deadline for Applicants: November 1, 2016
- Decisions Announced: By December 15, 2016
- Educational Programming: Spring 2017 Semester
- GRE Exams Taken: Summer 2017
If you have any questions about the program or application, you can direct them to BeyondUndergrad@illinois.edu. We will do our best to get back to you within 24 hours during the week and 48 hours on weekends or UIUC breaks.