Faculty FAQs

Main Content

Faculty and Staff:

Often, the first step following a referral is for SAC staff to contact you to gather additional information. This can help to provide additional useful context for the behavior, and ultimately helps SAC staff determine the most appropriate way to follow-up with the student. SAC staff will also provide you with resources and strategies for working with the student and managing the situation.

What happens next depends on the behaviors described, the urgency of the situation, and other information we may know about the student. In some cases, it may be best for you to follow-up directly with the student to outline your concerns. In other cases, SAC staff may reach out. We will talk with you about all of the possible steps.

Many people are concerned that students will be upset when learning that they were referred to our office. In most cases, students are very appreciative that someone has expressed a concern; they understand that the referral was because someone cares about their health, wellness, and success at Illinois.

It is difficult to share concerns with a student about their behavior without sharing the source of that information. Additionally, students may have only behaved this way in one setting, or shared certain information once, which makes it easy for them to determine the reporting party. If you have specific concerns about making a referral and how your name may be used, please contact us before you submit a referral. We can be reached at (217) 333-0050.

Many classroom disruptions, such as consistently arriving late to class or leaving early, interrupting the lecture at inappropriate times, and inappropriate use of technology, food, or drink, are examples of disrespectful behavior that are not indicative of a broader concern. In these cases, we recommend that you share your concerns with the student in a private setting. This also provides you with an opportunity to talk with the student about whether or not they would benefit from additional support or resources. Learn more about how to manage classroom disruptions (pdf).

Sometimes it is difficult if students are missing or simply voluntarily non-communicative. Students are adults, and able to make independent decisions regarding their attendance and assignments. If you are concerned about the well-being of a student who has not responded to your efforts at contacting him/her, but you do not believe it is an emergency, you can call the main Student Assistance Center line at (217) 333-0050 during business hours, or UIPD after hours at (217) 333-1216. We will put systems in place to attempt to contact your student, inform him/her of your concern, and ask that he/she contact you. If a student has been missing for over 24 hours or you have other reasons to be immediately concerned about a student, please contact UIPD at (217) 333-1216 or 911.

In either type of situation, after the student has been located the Student Assistance Center will work with that student to coordinate any longer term medical or academic care to work to prevent a similar situation from arising.