Emergency Dean Fund
Illinois Cares: COVID-19 Support Program
This fund is part of the University of Illinois System's announcement on April 16, 2020 to help students who are facing increased need now. Read the full announcement »
The request process for Spring 2020 funding from the Illinois Cares: COVID-19 Support Program is now closed.
Emergency Dean Fund
The Emergency Dean Fund is made possible by generous donations from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign alumni and supporters. It is a resource for university students who encounter an unforeseen emergency. The fund is available to provide limited, one-time financial assistance per academic year to enrolled, degree-seeking students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of a temporary hardship related to an emergency, such as an accident, illness, natural disaster, recent job loss, or other unforeseen circumstance. This funding does not have to be repaid.
In order to qualify students must:
- be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program the term the emergency grant is requested
- have a temporary financial hardship resulting from an unforeseen emergency
- provide documentation to explain financial need
- have exhausted all federal student aid options (including student loans). Please note unwillingness to take out student loans does not constitute a financial hardship
- have remaining need based aid on the current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Academic standing and progress toward degree will be considered in the decision process.
Types of Covered Expenses
All covered expenses must be connected to a temporary hardship related to an unforeseen emergency. These expenses may be, but are not limited to:
- Safety related needs (changing locks, short term emergency shelter)
- Replacement of essential items lost by fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Medications or other health-related costs
- Essential utility costs (water, heating, electricity, etc.)
- Books or other school supplies
- Travel costs related to death or serious illness of an immediate family member as defined by the student code
Types of Expenses Not Covered
Expenses that are not related to a temporary hardship due to an unforeseen emergency are not covered by the fund. Typical expenses that are not covered include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition and fees
- Study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities
- Parking tickets
For more information on how to access funds from the Emergency Dean Fund, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you wish to contribute to the Emergency Dean Fund, please click here.